The Board of Nursing website was becoming difficult to navigate and maintain. Since the creation, which was over ten years ago, only content had changed. The homepage contained a mass of information and users were unclear of its purpose. Some pages had no branding and the value proposition was located at the bottom of the site, so there was no sign of trust. Also, it didn’t adapt to smaller screens.
The steps I took to address the project goals.
To get an edge on the Nursing Board and their goals, I held a Kickoff Meeting and met with stakeholders along with our Project Manager to gather requirements. In the meeting, we learned more about their goals for the website and the users.
We interviewed individuals in different roles such as nurses, students, employees, to insight into their frustrations and their overall experience of using the website.
Out of the conversation I noted that some of the 300 registered members have never used the Online System. Also, the staff received a lot of calls and had to direct individuals to the website.
I used the information I gathered from the initial kickoff meeting and interviews to create user personas that represented the primary audience.
I explored the market segment to see what solutions other nursing sites provided their users. A few sites that I viewed: Florida Nursing Board, Arizona Nursing Board, and NC Nursing Board.
The client provided survey results, which were submitted by more than 400 users. According to the results:
Analytics revealed pages with the highest traffic: Licensing, Education, Legal, Forms, Newsletter, Board, and Nurse Practice Act.
I analyzed the current data on the website by conducting a content audit using a tool called Screaming Frog, which organized all of the data into a spreadsheet. I found that there were duplicate pages, broken links, and outdated information.
I decided to conduct a card sorting activity with the client to help me define the architecture of the site.
I wrote down information/page titles from the content audit on labels, stuck them on individual cards, and numbered them to prepare for the session.
During the session, I provided instructions to guide the participants through the activity. They organized information into categories that made sense to them. I observed and noted down their frustrations and comments while they were working. At the end of the activity, I photographed the piles and used numbers on the cards to record what the participants did.
I analyzed the information by adding the relationship of cards in Optimal Sort and generated reports that displayed the results.
I established an organized hierarchy and simplified the navigation by making the 4 pages with the highest traffic the main links: License, Education, Legal, Forms, Resources, and Board. I used the sitemap to define pages that were needed to complete the site.
After a few rounds of sketches, I used Axure to create the wireframes and generated shareable links and presented to stakeholders for their feedback. After a few iterations and final approval, I moved on to high-fidelity design.
I created a style guide for consistency throughout the site and used it as a reference when I created the website.
For finer design, I used Sketch to create mockups. Then, I synced the mockups to lnvision. I created a clickable prototype that covered most of the important user flows.
I recruited 3 participants to test out the high fidelity prototype and asked each of them to complete a few tasks for validation before development.
Once the concepts were approved, I translated the designs into a WordPress website. I worked with QA and used BrowserStack to view in a variety of devices for final testing before launch.
I took a number of measures to improve the Board of Nursing website:
The results of the redesign were immediate and productive.